Wednesday, May 23, 2012

What's That Buz-zine sound?

I always think that I never have time/inspiration to write on this blog, but then I spend countless hours scrolling Tumblr and banging out my musical thoughts through reblogs of artist images.

So now, realizing that some of my best writing comes in the form of stream-of-consciousness rants that nobody will ever see, I've decided to update this blog (which, coincidentally, nobody will ever see) with stuff from the bands that I've been digging and writing up on Tumblr.

First up, a pair of songs from Buzzcocks and Magazine. What's the connection between these two bands?

From the pages of my Tumblr blog:

Howard Devoto left the Buzzcocks in 1977 to form Magazine, a pioneering post-punk band that, while short-lived, had immeasurable influence on the direction that music would take once all the young dudes took the safety pins out of their faces.

I still have a hard time deciding whether I like Buzzcocks or Magazine more. I know that they’re both crazy amazing bands and ranking crazy amazing bands is lame and it doesn’t matter and I should just shut up and enjoy the music because they’re wonderful.

But I can’t help it.

I enjoy ranking bands. And TV shows. And pizza chains.

(Domino’s, Pizza Hut, Little Caesar’s, by the way. Crazy bread.)

I used to be scared of Caesar, but I digress.

The only thing that I have managed to decisively declare about the two bands regards a Devoto-penned riff that made appearances in songs by both bands: Buzzcocks’ “Lipstick” and Magazine’s “Shot by Both Sides.” While “Lipstick” is a excellent, buzzing little pop song, the Magazine song has a dark complexity (not to mention, a killer solo) that tips the scales in their favor.

Advantage Magazine.
Above: A 1976 picture of the Buzzcocks, with Devoto (left).

Was I right?

Probably not.

 Decide for Yourself

No comments:

Post a Comment